History of Gamma Irradiation
STERIS Isomedix has provided gamma sterilization services since 1972. However, the history of gamma irradiation dates back as far as 1895.
Gamma Irradiation: Timeline of Events
- 1895 – W.C. Roentgen discovers X-rays
- 1896 – A.H. Becquerel observes radiation emitted from uranium
- 1897 – J. Thompson discovers the electron
- 1898 – Marie & Pierre Curie discover several radioactive elements and first use the terms “radioactive” and “radio activity”
- 1963 – The first gamma irradiator in the US was installed in New Jersey for the processing of medical devices
Today, gamma irradiation is used to sterilize medical devices and equipment, pharmaceuticals, and consumer products. Gamma irradiation is also used to salvage contaminated products and packaging, as well as perform materials modification in industrial applications.